Thursday, April 16, 2015

Turning 17

Today, my baby brother turns 17. This is too weird. I'm 12 years older than he is (yes easy math, I know) and while 17 probably should seem like so long ago... it really doesn't. 17 years ago should feel like a long time ago too - but that also doesn't. I remember being there the day he was born. He came out with a squished nose and a blue tinge, but it didn't take long for him to be the cutest little thing ever with two teenage sisters to completely dote on him, which we did. From there, it seems it didn't take long for him to become this amazing young man of 17.

But today it made me think. What was I like at 17? What was happening in my life then. In the world (apart from it all revolving around high school dramas).

When I was 17:
I was in year 12 at Kent Street Senior High School.
I played the lead in my high school musical Little Shop of Horrors (bit sad, haven't performed since) - and I remember my brother, the only 5 years old bursting into tears in the audience when I got eaten by the plant. I had to leave straight after to go and calm him down!
I worked at my local supermarket as a check out chick for $6 something an hour.
I had a boyfriend I'd met working at the local supermarket.
I'd just discovered parties.
I wore halter tops and flared jeans.
I didn't have my licence, that took another year.
I lived in Forrestfield.
It was all about the Year 12 Ball. All we could talk about were our ball dresses,
I had lost my virginity (well it wasn't lost, I knew where it went - scandalous!).
I listened to Eminem - The Eminem Show, Milincolin - Pennybridge Pioneers, Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By the Way on high rotation.
I was watching Australian Idol and Sex in the City.
I weighed in at about 50kg... and did no exercise apart from walking to the bus and to work - wish it was that easy now!
I had a Nokia 3330 that you could only play Snake on, text and call.
I was doing 4 subjects at school Maths, English Literature, Drama and History studying for my TEE.
I dreamed of being a writer/actress.
I had a great bunch of loopy friends, a select few I've managed to retain and they are still my most favourite people and it's a joy to be growing up with them... even if some things were more fun at 17! 

Happy birthday little bro!
One of my fave photos of us - circa 2010.

What were you doing when you were 17?

No comments:

Post a Comment