Friday, March 21, 2014

First rain


So today was the first rain of the year in Perth I believe. Well now that I think about it, maybe it wasn't ... <look left and right and up and down searching your mind and seemingly your surroundings for an answer that doesn't come> but it's the first rain I can remember for a long time ... which either says it's been a long time since it rained or my memory is shot. There is strong cause for both of these options.

Either way, this morning there was rain in Perth and all day the air has had that smell of cool rain. It conjures a yearning within me for jumpers, socks, wool and for a glass of red wine snuggled on the couch. (And it gives me a thrill to know that the couch we ordered 9 weeks ago now will finally be here this weekend.)

There's a certain change of mood that comes with the onset of the cooler weather. Something calm about it, especially when it happens gradually like this; a day here and there of showers and the odd cardigan making an appearance atop my shoulders. It's better this way. People are more accepting of it this way. When it comes in spraying bullets in a crazy storm, understandably people are less receptive. Myself included.


But this way, it just builds excitement in me for the change of season. Of course, I don't particularly want it to be wintery just yet, there are weddings to attend, gardens to plant, boxes to move inside and new outdoorsy habits to be cemented into my brain before winter can truly be welcome. But I do love the anticipation of the change of seasons. The tease of mother nature in autumn and spring leading into winter or summer. In Perth at least, I always think of autumn and spring as 'in between' seasons. They're more of a transition period than a full blown season of their own in this part of the world. Not as cut and dry (pun intended) as summer or winter. They're just a taste, a tease of what's to come. And today it's the tease of cardigans and coats.

Do you have a favourite season? What do you look forward to the most about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment