Tuesday, January 14, 2014

On the move


The first few months of this 2014 are all about moving for me.

I've already had a move of desk with my Comms team being moved into a different location in the building at work. Setting up my new work space made for an easy transition back into the world of work after a much needed two week break over Christmas.

Also in the world of work I'm having a move of positions; taking on an event management position that I'm really excited about and I'm sure will keep me very occupied this year.

I've had this little cyber move new Prickles and Pearls ofcourse, and i look forward to sharing so many things here this year.

But the biggest move of all is the one coming up in a mere 37 days. The one into our very own home! Our first home. Together. (You can read about my initial excitement about buying a house on Tumblr.) My sweet, sweet man MR and I bought a sweet little unit in November and on the 21st February we finally get the keys and will have a home to call our very own. A humble sigh of absolute bliss wells up and is expelled from me every time I even think about it. Our. Own. Home.

Both of us have moved one too many times before, so this time we want to make sure we're really organised for a (hopefully) seamless move. The goal: to get everything moved in one truck load. Whopa! Just like that. With us moving from a house into a unit, there is much clearing out, purging and selling to be done before the big move. Next to none of our furniture will fit in the unit so we're selling up and buying new which is a nice feeling. So it's been a busy start to the year putting Operation One Truck into motion. Sunday morning (at 5am!) with my car Sgt Peppers packed to the hilt, we went to the Swap Mart at Karrinyup and offloaded a bunch of crap bits and bobs to local bargain hunters. I parted with some things for an absolute steal but others I wasn't so willing to part with for nothing (like the Mollini shoes I'd worn once that someone offered me $5 for. I don't think so!). And later that day I posted a few pieces of furniture on Gumtree. By 9pm that night we'd sold both of our wardrobes, the spare bed, fridge, coffee table and bookcase. Winning!

The last few days have been mad with us cleaning out fridges and wardrobes, helping people remove furniture from our house, moving everything else around the house to get said furniture out. The house is absolutely filthy! But it is a freeing feeling watching things walk out the door. The physical watching of spaces freeing up, has freed up space in our minds to focus on other things as we get ready for our move - and that's the most exciting feeling of all. We're on the move!

Do you find moving exciting or daunting? Any words from the wise on minimalism?


No comments:

Post a Comment